I feel like you guys deserve to know the whole story and not just the Instagram filtered one. A lot of you guys are either bloggers yourself or trying to start-up your own business, and I get a lot of questions about how to collaborate with brands, how to be ‘successful’ or even how to pitch to a client.
& don’t get me wrong, I love to answer your questions and help you reach for your dreams, but I also want you to know, rejection is part of the game.
I think Instagram and a lot of other social media platforms glorify entrepreneurship as making your own schedule, living a life of luxury and just romping around from one fancy coffee shop to the next,
A big part of running your own blog or company is rejection. obviously, no one wants to talk about rejection, because well it’s kind of depressing but to be completely transparent with you all, it’s the peanut butter to you running your own business jelly, they really do go hand and hand.
I always say for that one yes, I received from a brand, there were about twelve no’s before that. To be honest, I think you really have to have a thick skin for this gig, because guys, I’ve heard it all.
I’ve gotten no’s from other bloggers about meeting up for coffee, no’s to working with brand’s, no’s to images I’ve loved but the brands didn’t like and sometimes I even get ignored, which for me I HATE wayyyy more than receiving a no, it drives me, nuts guys.
Ugh, I hate to call myself this but since I’m a pro at rejection, after blogging full-time for about a year, I figured I could pay it forward and give you guys some tips.
- Accept the no, but ask for feedback! – The worst thing you can do is get a no and not even know why! Whenever I get a no from a brand, I’ll ask ‘I was wondering if there was anything specific I needed to work on, to work with your team? Any feedback would be appreciated.’ This allows me to figure out what I can do better next time, while most of the time it’s either a budget or a schedule thing, it never hurts to get feedback.
- The worst they can say is no – so you got a no, and it’s bringing down your day but all they can say is no, so pick yourself up and move onto the next potential yes! The longer you stay focused on the no, the more time you are wasting, so learn to accept the no’s at face value.
- Overnight success doesn’t exist – one ‘no’ isn’t going to stop you from being successful so don’t get yourself down. Overnight success doesn’t exist remember you need a solid foundation before you can build a skyscraper, so just keep building one brick at a time.
- Take breaks – rejection is hard, and if your business is your life, hobby, and all you do 24/7 that needs to change. Join a gym, an art class or even get a part-time job (I did!). I struggled with this the most, especially being in a new location, when your blog or business is all you are doing all day, you are going to burn out and you are going to burn out quickly! So make sure to have other things on your schedule, by getting a part-time job I was able to make myself leave my phone, and go out and help people.
- It only takes one yes – getting bogged down with no’s is hard but guys it just takes ONE yes, so don’t sweat the small stuff.
I hope this is relatable for you guys, and I hope it shows you that I too STILL get rejections. Yesterday, I got two big ones and I felt like it’s time to share my experience. I’d love to hear how you deal with rejections below xx Aubrey
Shop Today’s Look: